Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The other Ray

This guy is not to be mistaken with our own creative genius satyajit ray. now, who would that be? the answer my friend is nicholas ray. i would bet my freshly bought logitech speakers which made me poorer by 1600 buck's that none of you out there who would eventually find some time to read this would have heard of him. even, i wouldn't have got to know about this largely unknown brilliant film maker if ashok had died in a plane crash few days ago.

" in a lonely place " the film which got ray the cult status and placed him in the A league along with the likes of billy wilder and orson welles follows closely the life of a hollywood screen writer. what started as any other hollywood production began shaping up itself as a classic with the brilliance of ray oozing out through his pen. " I was born when she kissed me, died when she left me, and lived when she loved me".

In a lonely place was followed by films like johnny guitar, rebel without a cause and bigger than life. people back then found ray's cinema modernistic and this would later on be cited as one of the most prominent reason for the commercial failure and critical success of ray's cinema. with his modernistic approach and expressionistic use of colours ray has been an influential filmmakers and this was revealed in recent years by the likes of scorcese that his use of colours to present the shade of the character delights him to this day.


Celebrated german film maker wim wenders who claims " I am the biggest fan of nicholas ray" dead or alive, paid his homage to ray by naming his sci-fi thriller " until the end of the world " which are claimed to be the last words spoken by ray.

" There was poetry, theatre, dance, painting, music and henceforth there is cinema. and the cinema is nicholas ray"........

2 comments:

  1. " There was poetry, theatre, dance, painting, music and henceforth there is cinema. and the cinema is nicholas ray"........
    inkem mataladali bey? aipoinde ikkade..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will read this post after watching at least a "Ray"

    ReplyDelete

V I S I T O R S - C O U N T

yaz class action lawsuit