Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Five- Music.

I am tired of the refusal mails sent by The Hindu. for the last three months my list of Five songs has been continuosly rejected by the committee of My Five. My Five is a column in downtown which comes along with The Hindu every saturday. wherein people can get their list of five best songs published. here goes my list...

1. marilyn manson - nobodies.


Marilyn Manson, the name formed from the names of actress marilyn monroe and her convicted murderer charlie manson. this guy is more of the manson than marilyn. the song i am talking about " Nobodies " from their album Slutgarden is probably the most disturbing song i've ever heard. the reason why i place it at the top giving it top honours is because this song made me realize that i truly am a nobody in this huge world of somebody's. I truly beleive that this song was written and sung by manson with people like me in his mind. depression is something which isn't new to me. i still remember those days when i locked myself in my room. dark as hell without a trace of light with nobodies playing in the back ground. that really gave me some releif. 3 cheers to the manson guy for his " nobodies " from this nobody.

We are the nobodies
wanna be somebodies
we are dead wanna know just who we are
we are the nobodies
wanna be somebodies.


2. Netti Moore- Bob Dylan.


Thoughts can be contagious, though they can serve a purpose at the same time. if there is a song which can describe the person i am now then it has got to be " Netti Moore". When ever i sit down to hear this it sounds as if dylan dedicated this to me. The song is all about those souls which have lost their track and got a whack. though it sounds a bit similar to dylan's much earlier work " Moonshiner " filled with trademark dylan. " they say whisky will kill ya, but i dont think it will" " If whisky dont kill me, i dont know what will". if given a chance to choose the song for my funeral. netti moore it would be.


Lost John's sittin' on a railroad track
something's out of whack
Blues this morning falling down like a hail.
gonna leave a greasy trail.


3. God Is An Astronaut - The End Of The Beginning


My first brush with this irish band happened while watching the movie " Night Breed " there's this famous quote in the movie where in the protagonist compares god with an astronaut. This was 3 years ago when God is an astronaut to me was just a famous quote from a stupid movie. I was pleasantly suprised when i was told by my brother that the name of the band is inspired from that famous quote. the founders of the post rock three piece culture. god is an astronaut to me is a mystical band. their music has this element of enigma. "End of the beginning" the very first song recorded by the band took the entire rock culture by storm. the future belongs to the post rock.


4. Bob Dylan - you gotta serve somebody


Here comes handsome bob again. If you are the kind who belong to the revolutionary shit then here's the song for you. indeed here's an anthem for you. Before this song entered my life i had this " I wish i was rich " going on in my life. but the song vacuumed it away. I first heard it play at the back of some shitty movie whose name i lost in some shit storm. but the song remained with me. though it sounds a bit preachy, it's heart is at the right place. It doesn't matter who the fuck you are you gotta serve somebody.


5. Dream on - Aerosmith.


Everyone wants to be a fitzcarraldo, everyone wants to chase their wildest of dreams. but only some become a fitzcarraldo and the others run away shittin their pants. sung by the great stevie tyler in his dopey voice. This song helped me get over the past like dusk to dawn. it taught me " you got to lose to know how to win". Long may he live and sing.


Yeah, I know nobody knows
where it comes and where it goes
i know its everybody's sin
you got to lose to know how to win.....

1 comment:

  1. i know last four of them and they simply rock! i dont deserve to comment bout first one coz i havent heard it so far

    ReplyDelete

V I S I T O R S - C O U N T

yaz class action lawsuit