Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Madiba.

People say there was a jesus between 5 bc- 30 ad, there was a krishna, there was a rama. some beleive they exist and some dont. i say there was and there is a nelson rolihlahla mandela a physical equivalent of all the three entities mentioned earlier. i was taught in my sixth standard by my then social studies madam ragha latha that mandela served 27 summers in a prison. that was my first brush with mandela and i reproduced the same in the unit test bit paper, and it ended there. until yesterday evening when i was taught a complete new lesson by clint eastwood through " invictus".


the film starts with the footage of mandela walking out of prison in robben island and we listen to a news reporter announcing " there comes mandela a free man now". the film follows closely not mandela as a person but mandela as a president. there's this scene in the movie where one of the security personnel of mandela objects his decision to recruit white people as his bodygaurds only to hear mandela say " when people outside see me they also see my bodyguards and when they see people of my own clan protecting me they might develop this false notion that i may do the same and i don't want that to happen". this brilliant scene roots the character of mandela and all through the film you just cant stop admiring him. very few people stand their ground and fight when the need arises and a very few of them like mandela succeed.


A day before the crunch final between south africa and the all blacks kiwis in the 1995 rugby world cup. the south african captain visits the prison which imprisoned mandela for better part of his life. minutes before the match we see him gazing blankly through his window. he turns towards his wife and tells her " i was thinking about how you spend thirty years in a tiny cell and come out ready to forgive the people who put you there". i've been waiting for a scene like this. the kind of scene which makes you celebrate your very existence.


" I thank whatever gods maybe for my unconquerable soul, i am the master of my fate, i am the captain of my soul ".....

5 comments:

  1. Its fine, I personally think, it doesn't need anyone to extract performance from freeman.

    And as a viewer I have right to measure it with my knowledge at least..! keep aside Tarantino or any guy..!

    SO the result of my measurement was " lack of enthusiasm in movie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. LACK OF WHAT !!!!! SHIT MAN ...the movie's well made. there was this word called honesty etched on every pixel of my pc screen when i was watching it. now how do you measure enthusiasm did you watch eastwood sleeping while shooting in your version of invictus. my version didn't cover that mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are almost there...! Eastwood might have been sleeping or not concentrating in some scenes..
    Im not trying fool around, I seriously felt that...!

    n Yeah HONESTY is poor man's word..! they got nothing to show but HONESTY

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

V I S I T O R S - C O U N T

yaz class action lawsuit